Update : 2022-1-24
Soka City is the worst in Saitama Prefecture
in the number of people killed in traffic accidents.
（The number of deaths： 7 people, increased by 5 from last year）
* As of the end of October 2021, per municipality in Saitama Prefecture
Many precious lives were lost in traffic accidents.
Seven people were killed in traffic accidents from January to October this year （the worst in Saitama Prefecture）.
Those of age 60 or over were killed in five of these accidents.
Remind yourself to observe the traffic rules strictly and to review the traffic manners, so as to protect irreplaceable lives.
Do Not Do Other Things While Driving.
Avoid drunken driving, two people riding the same bicycle and riding a bicycle side by side.
Also avoid doing other things while driving, such as holding an umbrella, using a smartphone, eating or drinking.
Be sure to stop in front of the stop-line at a halt sign or indicator to check safety.
Ride on the Left Side of Driveway Basically.
In riding a bicycle on a sidewalk, give priority to pedestrians and ride near the driveway slowly enough so that you can stop any time.
Cases You Can Ride a Bicycle on a Sidewalk
- When the traffic sign permits riding an ordinary bicycle on a sidewalk.
- For those of age under 13, or of age 70 or over, as well as those with physical disability
- When it is difficult or dangerous to ride a bicycle on a driveway due to construction work or heavy traffic.
Both Adults and Children Should Give a Sign, Raising your Hand.
Do not cross a street obliquely, and use a pedestrians' crossing making a detour.
If you raise your hand, more than 80% of vehicles will stop （according to the survey conducted by the Saitama Police）.
Communicate your intention to cross a street so that you can cross the street safely.
Things to Keep in Mind in Crossing a Street
- Raise your hand before you cross a street. Set your face toward the driver.
- Look left and right before crossing a street.
- Be careful while crossing a street to see if a vehicle is approaching or is dashing out.
- Smile to the driver after crossing a street safely.
Make a halt when a pedestrian is to cross a pedestrians' crossing.
Pay special attention while driving in poor visibility such as in the dusk, at night and in a rainy weather.
Drive considerately, making way for following vehicles and for oncoming vehicles.
Message for Drivers from the Soka Police
Of all the traffic injury accidents which occurred in Soka City in 2021, about 70% were caused by drivers looking away.
If they had not looked away, some lives could have been saved.
Traffic accidents will be prevented if drivers always keep in mind not to look away while driving.
Pay special attention to the motions of aged pedestrians and of bicycles.
Mr. KANAIZUMI Yutaka,
chief of the Traffic Section of the Soka Station,
Saitama Prefectural Police
Kotsu Taisaku-ka （Traffic and Transport Measures Section）