Update : 2021-12-2
Prepare against Torrential Rain
Commitments to Drain, to Store and to Prepare
Flood Damage Considerably Decreased in the Typhoon No.19 in 2019
Water intrusion area caused by the Typhoon No.26 in 2013
Water intrusion area caused by the Typhoon No.19 in 2019
October 16, 2013
October 12, 2019
|Total amount of rainfall||231.5mm||276.5mm|
|Maximum amount of rainfall in an hour||41.5mm||42.5mm|
|Number of roads closed||57 roads||3 roads|
|Number of roads flooded||70 places||14 places|
|Wetted surface area||312.6ha||18.07ha|
|Inundation above floor level||19 places||0 places|
|Inundation below floor level||138 places||2件 places|
Soka City Prone to Flood Damage
Preparation against Torrential Rain Essential
- The ground of Soka City is low, so torrential rain often causes flood on roads and inundation above or below floor level.
- The flood damage is decreasing over years, due to the establishment of a drainage pump station, the reinforcement of pumps and the preparation of facilities for storage of rain water. But we still need to prepare against unanticipated torrential rain in daily life.
In the drainage facilities in Soka City, the water gates are closed, preventing backward flow from rivers, and water is drained from small rivers to larger rivers with drainage pumps.
Pumps Established along the River in the South of the Nissato Ground
In addition to the facilities indicated on the map, there are about 200 small-scale facilities in Soka City, and a new pump was established in the south of Nissato Bosai Hiroba (Nissato Ground) to drain water to the Kenaga River.
One of the largest facilities for storage of rain water in Soka City completed
This facility was established below the planned site of the Matsubara Tennis Court (tentative name) in Matsubara 4-chome.
The facility can temporarily store about 15,000 m3 of rain water (which would fill a 25-meter swimming pool about 22 times) in case of torrential rain, and can drain it gradually after the water level of rivers was lowered.
To mitigate flood damage to the minimum, we need to make preparation in daily life, such as actions we can take at home and information collection.
- Clean lateral grooves and drain ditches.
- Check the weather information frequently.
- Read the hazard map.
- Prepare against flood damage from unexpected places.
Let's make our community flood-resistant.
Flood Fighting Activities to Be Conducted 24 Hours a Day
In Times of Emergency
- In times of potential flood disaster, city employees will work 24hours a day on the operation of drainage pumps, on the patrol on roads and on the restriction of traffic.
- Soka City will be engaged in flood fighting activities, collaborating with companies in the city which exchanged contract.
Traffic Guide Markers of Balloon Sandbags to Be Given Trial
Rain- and wind-resistant and Eye-catching in the Height of People
The flood on roads will be indicated by placing balloon sandbags, ensuring safety, even in dangerous situations of large-scale typhoons or torrential rain.
Kensetsu Kanri-ka (Public Works Management Section)